Eyesight is one of the most important senses, and our eyes are impacted by the aging process just as any other part of the body. Therefore, we should do all we can to keep eyes healthy at all times. Fortunately, there are many medical, lifestyle, and dietary ways to improve one’s vision. In this post we’ll take a look at many different approaches to maintaining excellent vision.
How to Improve Eyesight
Tip #1 – Strengthening Your Vision with Nutrition
– Include more lutein in your diet: Consuming up to 12mg lutein per day can help prevent and treat eye-related ailments, such as macular degeneration. Lutein-rich foods include green leafy vegetables (such as kale, spinach, and broccoli), fruits (especially oranges, grapes and kiwis), squash, and zucchini.
– Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids: These nutrients can help slow down macular degeneration, prevent cataracts, and alleviate dry eye problems. The best source for these fatty acids is oily fish, such as salmon, sardines, tuna, oysters, and mackerel. Alternatively, you can take omega-3 supplements.
– Take more vitamin A: Vitamin A helps prevent night blindness and improve vision in the dark. Several foods are high in vitamin A. Carrots have been used to improve vision for decades. Other foods packed with this vitamin are sweet potato and eggs.
– Eat foods rich in vitamin C: This vitamin can help slow down macular degeneration and the formation of cataracts. The best sources for vitamin C include oranges, yellow peppers, dark green vegetables (such as kale and broccoli), and berries (such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries).
– Get plenty of zinc: Zinc stimulates the production of melanin, an essential pigment that aids in protecting the eyes. This will help slow macular degeneration and resist eye damage. There are many ways to add zinc to your diet. These include eating shellfish (such as lobster, oysters, and crab), green leafy vegetables, nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts, and peanuts) and small quantities of lean red meat.
Tip #2 – Strengthening Your Vision with Lifestyle Changes
– Use your computer properly: Many people often spend several hours per day sitting in front of their computers or looking at their smartphones. This can seriously damage your eyesight. Measures that can help protect your eyes when using computers include limiting their use, blinking often, adjusting screen lighting, taking regular breaks, and using specialized glasses.
– Keep your weight in check: Maintaining a healthy weight will help prevent weight-related diseases, such as diabetes, which is the major cause of blindness. Following a healthy diet and a regular exercise regimen will help you control your weight.
– Avoid smoking: Excessive smoking can cause numerous eye problems, such as optic nerve damage, cataracts, and macular degeneration. It can also lead to diabetes, which is associated with various eye problems. So if you are smoking, you should quit if you want to keep your eyes healthy.
– Get enough sleep: Sleeping for at least 8 hours daily will help not only to rest your eyes properly but also to re-lubricate them. This way, you will wake up with recharged and refreshed eyes.
Tip #3 – Strengthening Your Vision with Glasses
– Wear sunglasses outside: UV rays from the sun can cause serious damage to the eyes if they aren’t properly protected. Eye conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts are often associated with exposure to sunlight. Buy a pair of sunglasses with UV-protection and wear them any time you are in the sun.
– Take good care of your contact lenses: Dirty contacts can cause damage to your eyes and increase the risk of vision-threatening infections. So taking good care of your lenses can help prevent such damages. Wash your contact lenses after each use with a quality contact cleaning solution. Before handling your glasses, wash your hands thoroughly so that you don’t transfer bacteria from the hands to the lenses.
– Wear goggles whenever you are working with chemicals or tools: Small objects can cause serious damage if they get in your eyes. Therefore, it is advisable to always wear goggles or any other appropriate protection during activities where chemicals or foreign objects can enter your eyes.
Tip #4 – Strengthening Your Vision with Eye Exercises
– Blink often: Blinking is vital for healthy eyes. Not blinking when watching TV or working on a computer can lead to eyestrain and dryness. Take a break when staring at bright screens and try blinking every 3 seconds for a period of two minutes. This will help lubricate your eyes.
– Trace a pattern: Tracing a pattern with the eyes can help strengthen the eye muscles, thereby sharpening vision. Start by tracing the figure 8 in both directions. Once you have gotten used to tracing this figure, you can also try tracing other shapes.
– Focus on near and far objects: This exercise will help keep your vision sharp. With your arm fully stretched, hold your finger in front of your face. Move your finger back towards you till it’s about 2 inches from your face, focusing on it the whole time. Move it to back to the initial position while staying focused on it.
Tip #5 – Strengthening Your Vision Medically
– Regular visits to your eye doctor: Regular eye checkups will help detect any problems that may damage your eyes. It is important to detect eye conditions, such as macular degeneration and cataracts, early so that they can be treated. The eye doctor may also prescribe some corrective lenses and advise you on some lifestyle changes that will help keep eyes healthy.
– Eye medications: If you are suffering from chronic eye irritation, inflammation and discomfort, the doctor can prescribe some eye drops and other medications. For problems such as chronic dry eyes, medications like Restasis can help increase tear production. Bring up any eye problems you may have when you visit your eye doctor.
– Consider eye surgery: In some cases, LASIK surgery may be used to help the eye focus better and improve vision. LASIK is a surgical procedure where laser is used to reshape the cornea. Although this procedure is very expensive, it has a high success rate. Seek the advice of your eye doctor on whether this is the best option.
Remember to talk to your eye doctor before using any eye protection products or making any drastic changes to your diet or lifestyle. Without proper consultation and guidance, you can damage your body.
If you want to improve your eyesight naturally, there is a revolutionary method of training the eyes called Vision Gym–click the link below to find out more information.
Get More Health and Wellness Tips
Subscribe To Our Mailing List And Get Interesting Stuff And Updates To Your Email Inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.